Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Team Mason Graham {March of Dimes Walk}

What a weekend we had. It's hard to put into words...

After we lost Mason I wanted to do something to remember him and to help other mothers who have suffered the same loss. My sister friend used to work for a non-profit called March of Dimes. March of Dimes mission is:
 
We help moms have full-term pregnancies and research the problems that threaten the health of babies.

I thought it was a great opportunity to bring my family and friends together for a great cause and to honor Mason. I went onto the website and made a team. Team Mason Graham. I started to send out emails to friends and family and posted on facebook that we were raising money in remembrance of Mason and to help other families affected. I have been amazed at the generosity of all those who have donated. I set a goal of $1000 and we doubled our goal. We raised a total of $2090!!! In my prayers I often ask to feel support from those around me and the money that has been given is an answer to my prayers.

We had shirts made for the team. I designed them and a friend of mines brother printed them for me. They came out great. I could not have been more happy with them.
This was Team Mason Graham:
Myself, Derrick, Drew, Mazda, Daddo, Tani, Janelle, Troy, Max, Adam, Michael, Ashleigh, Ethan, Daisy, Loya, Andy, Harrison, Lily, Izzac, Marie Spackman, JJ Spackman, Lindsey Futrell, Katie Ross, Steve Ross and Aaron & Andrew Ross.

As the walk got closer I did not realize how emotional it was going to be. But as I thought more about it the emotional significance of it really hit me hard. When we arrived at the walk Saturday morning (May 7, 2011) and I saw everyone there for Mason and supporting my little family it just filled me heart with joy. To see all the kids in their shirts and knowing what they were for made me so proud. Not only did we lose a son, but they also lost a cousin.

When the walk finally started it hit me hard. The meaning all of my hard work was finally paying off. As I started to walk my ran up from behind me and grabbed my hand and held it so tight. I was overcome with emotion. Tears welled up in our eyes and I could feel little Mason their with us. Everyone was being touched by his amazing and glowing spirit. That will be a moment that I will forever hold dear to my heart. I could feel my mothers love for me pouring out as she held my hand. Her wishing with all her heart to take away my pain at the loss of my child. The chain of love shared that day between my mother and I was as pure as I have ever felt from her. I thank her for sharing that moment with me.

The walk was lots of fun. We all talked as we walked and tried to stay together as best we could. We did lose one of our little walkers and Harrison caused quite a bit of drama in his missing. A little ways into the walk Harrison decided that he wanted to win the race, so he took off running without telling anyone. I think it took a total of 15 minutes to locate him, but once we did all was well.

It was an amazing morning. I plan on walking and raising money again next year. I want it to be something that we do as a family every year to remember Mason. A sweet lady in my ward told me that she remembers going out and raising money every year with mom as a child. They would each get tin cans and go door to door collecting money. I want Drew to do the same.
The core of Team Mason Graham
Tani and Nellie ready for the walk
Drew and Izac having a laugh
Team Mason Graham
Troy and Derrick
Me and the Amazing Daddo
My best friend in the whole wide world, Tani
Here we come
Katie and I at the end of the walk

No comments:

Post a Comment